Circular solutions and products

Value creation and Innovation

A circular economy means reusing resources instead of depleting them and closing the loops so that no resources are wasted but used as raw material in another part of the cycle. At Ragn-Sells this implies a transformation from a waste management company into a raw material producer. We develop solutions that is following these three fundamental criteria’s:

1) Reduce need for usage of virgin resources
Ragn-Sells operation aim to produce raw materials from waste so that others can use them to produce new products. We need to be careful with what the global production systems have already taken out from our geosphere and make sure to use these resources over and over again for as many times as possible.

2) De-contaminate circular flows and 3) No debts or hindrances pushed to future generations
In the environment, historically (and in the future), there are toxins that need to be taken out of the eco-loop. We remove toxic materials from the waste before we circulate it back into the eco-loop.

Guiding principles for achieving circular solutions

The specific goals in our sustainability strategy point out the fundamental role that circularity plays in our strategy and business operations. Through collaboration with partners and society we develop and deploy refined and value-creating circular material flows, with the aim to increase material recycling and avoid emissions. Below we describe some of them.

World's first Ash2Salt plant

In April 2023, Ragn-Sells opened the world's first facility for recycling commercial salts from fly ash from waste incineration. The plant extracts salts with a 90 percent lower climate footprint compared to traditional methods of salt production. Sweden’s Minister for Climate and the Environment Romina Pourmokhtari inaugurated the facility.
Read the press release from the event



Successful circularity means collaboration and change

Pivoting away from a linear economy to a sustainable society requires developing new value chains, the full frameworks of steps businesses take to conceive and deliver products. Ragn-Sells is committed to the shift towards a circular economy. And to do that, the company must forge new partnerships and develop new business models. Read more



With 90% lower carbon footprint

Together with GC Rieber Salt, a Nordic distributor of salts, Ragn-Sells have entered a partnership for the sale of salts recovered from fly ash from waste incineration. Through the collaboration we can offer the market several different high-quality salts, with a carbon footprint that is one tenth compared to traditional production. Read more  


Advanced aquaculture

In Norway, Ragn-Sells Aquaculture is collaborating with Lift Up, AquaPro, and AMOF-Fjell to improve waste collection and handling from open rainbow trout farms. Valuable resources such as phosphorus found in fish farming waste sludge, which mainly consists of fish faeces, waste feed, and dead fish, is separated with the newly developed combi filter. Dead fish and fish sludge are used in the production of bioenergy, fuel, fish oil products, and organic fertilisers.
Read more

Havbruk_2 column.jpg

We want to walk the talk ourselves by also requesting our suppliers to use secondary material in their production. By procuring products with recycled content, we promote the change to a circular economy. Here we are also cooperating directly with producers with for example our FAIR Plastic™ pellets raw material, building up a product line to support our customers sustainability agenda as well.

Setting a new standard for recycled plastic

Only 30% of all Danish plastic waste is recycled. Ragn-Sells Denmark asked themselves; how can we increase this further. The solution was to focus on the other 70% made up of enormous amounts of mixed, unclean plastic waste that today in most cases is sent directly to incineration, in Denmark, as well as in the rest of the world. We call this new plastic recycling stream FAIR Plastic™. Read more



Creating demand through circular procurement

Today, almost half of our climate impact is linked to the way we extract resources and produce goods and food. We really need to rethink – and that’s fast. Since 2018, Ragn-Sells Sweden has actively worked to inspire Swedish municipalities to change the way they conduct their procurement to create large-scale demand for recycled materials. Read more